Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, August 11, 2006

16 July - MySpace & Babyboomers

Read Sunday Times with Myspace.com etiquette article. Tk god I had already signed up before I read it. Hate to be too late on trends, though of course cannot claim to have launched any, but i was tieing lengths of ribbon around my cardies long before Carrie Bradshaw.
I put on my profile that it must be surprising for the ethos of the web to have babyboomers swelling the ranks of what was surely intended as a teenage/young persons forum and b) be owned by the Murdoch empire no less.
Am flabbergasted to see that the masthead ad on the site is for that renowned cutting edge company: Churchill’s Insurance. The one with the dog! Surely a symbol appealing to pensioners who remember the great statesman. As proven by some quiz on Love Island, non babyboomers and non celebs do not know who Churchill was. Still, I set about checking it all and realise two of my friends who are on it (46 and 54 years old!) have v. cool friends themselves. I mean, one counts the Aphex Twin in his inner circle and Unerworld. V. cool. The other one knows Madonna and Britney but the two ladies have not been invited to join his cast. I doubt they could have refused if asked. I vow to be the one with the coolest friend online but this is difficult. I set my sights on Paul Allen and Bill Gates. And Angelina Jolie. I’ll let you know how this gets on and only then will publicise myspace.com address. In fact I probably can’t as that’s in a different name and slightly closer to the truth. It gets complicated to keep track of lies.

In same issue of Sun Times, there is also a two pager from the book version of GirlWithAOneTrackMind blog. Once again extreme envy assails me coupled with ‘but it’s fake, it’s badly written’ but there you go. She’s in print and I’m not. And possibly already spending the advance publishing cash on botox. She’s ‘only’ 30 so maybe not. Then again, teenagers are asking for more and more items of plastic surgery so who knows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home