Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, August 11, 2006

10 July - World Cup Final & Midwives

You’d never think the headline makes sense, but follow me…
Came into work this morning wearing dainty Italy football team shirt, and, proof the locals as varied as they may be in fair London, are by and large not the friendliest of people (present readers excluded of course), do you think anyone on crowded tube, corridors, escalators, pavements etc., gave me a friendly nod? Or even a cheering word or two? Ok, it hadn't been the best of matches and am sad about Zid Vicious (Metro headline, I love it here for the puns, believe me you couldn’t make them in French, Dutch or Greek) and the penalty shootout ending but still.....NIENTE.
My world cup watching at friend's house was sort of spoiled by 4 women who talked at the top of their voices throughout the game about birthing, giving birth, midwifery and so on (one is a midwife, the others have expelled kids at least 3 times in one case). it was hilarious/insane. We (ie other guests and hosts) couldn't shut them up and gradually all left the living room with huge TV screen, to go watch in the kitchen (small screen) as repeated requests to abort talk of placenta and misdemeanours by NHS staff gynecological staff were ignored and nobody wanted to end up head-butting women.
They were all around 40-45 ie my age group. Shocking. Thought only white trash teenagers were so clacky/obnoxious/rude/selfish. I stand corrected clearly, though two work in film/TV PR and one in a woman's magazine so what else are they going to talk about when finished about jennifer aniston, size of daniel craig's trunks in 007 and so on? Not to mention that some of us other women who didn't join in the conversation may be ones who were either trying to have a baby or had some tragic baby story of our own/miscarriages and so on to dwell upon. Not my case, but am still annoyed about all the 'It took only 30 mins with the second kid' and so on. If only I could remember some contrasting inane TV commentator's pearl of wisdom and the screeching stuff about 'Iwas dilated to 10cm and doing my breathing , I was down to 2 mins between each contractions and...............MY WATERS STILL HADN'T BROKEN!!! ' , I’m sure I could transform this silly anecdote into a top play for radio or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home