Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Monday, May 15, 2006

4 April - Beauty Queen & Make Overs

I have many friends who hate The Standard but frankly I love it and I can read between the Daily Mail lines… It just throws up regularly lots of people I’ve known. Take Louise Constand, a top make up artist. I read that now she does Beauty Queen make overs. Hadn’t seen her photograph since some Max Factor campaign a couple of years back. You know, the testimonial one that goes with ‘Max Factor, the make up choice of make up artists’ tag line.
She’s not changed, same fuzzy or curly dark hair, same 50’s type glasses. Back in 1980 we shared a boy. A man in fact, as vastly older than us, all of 13 years my senior and I guess Louise is within a year or two of my long ago birthdate. I didn’t have a problem with her. I could see that we were similar though I’m not Jewish and don’t have the same size tits. Hers were huge but we’re both on the petite side, both with a slight 50’s fixation back then. Have grown out of mine though a fitted jacket is still a top item for me. Though I never did ballerina shoes like she did, I had to have the heels. There was a third woman in G’s triangle and she had me flummoxed. Ok she was on the door at the Screen on the Green so he got free movies and by now she’s probably a top producer, if only could remember Caroline’s surname I could google her, but I called her Nellie the elephant. Very childish of me, but she was a sort of fatter Belinda Carlisle, peaches and cream complexion and the huge boobs again. So.. I was the home girl sort of thing for G as I came from the same region as him, L was the cuddlier version and Caroline would have been the exotic one? But what did we have in common apart from being girls with glasses? Why did a skinny assed man like him manage to pull the three of us simultaneously? I mean, he was interesting I guess (the first of my many graphic designers) and grown up. I have a vague memory of going for my first Indian meal with him somewhere in then utterly deserted Shoreditch. And I mean scarely wasteland Shoreditch. I shared a flat with his younger brother so perhaps I was most conveniently placed? But what about Louise and Caroline. Where is he now? Am sure he reads the Standard too. Last time he rang was a year ago. He does that from time to time. Helps that I never moved and kept my number. As for his, I never take it or lose it when he gives it. Guess have not forgotten or forgiven. I could say the taught me a lot but with hindsight no and I especially refused to ‘learn’ any of his cynism. Now of course, having already gone past being 13 years older than my 20 year old self, I can well sympathise with his grumpy stance but no, not that keen on that catch up cup of coffee after all. Louise, am not going to leave a message on your website, but if you read this… let me know if your memories of G are similar. Or just offer me a free make over. Though I definitely don't need to look ten years younger. Am blessed that way already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home