Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

20 March - Voltaire & Beckett

The lover is reading Geoff Dyer ‘Yoga for…’ and having a much needed laugh. I’ve also converted him to Green Wing’s firs series, so perhaps his zest for life is slowly returning. Serotonin levels increased by moi have sadly not improved his outlook on life by the 100%, 360 degrees needed. Amazingly sex is not the cure for all, for ... er all. Or maybe we're not doing it enough. In fact we're not but for a depressed person the current level of activity is probably equivalent to lifting a big rock up a mountain? I can't identify as being luckily immune to depression or clarifying slightly, when it approaches, I'm quick to go have it zapped off by any means possible. This often includes spending money. Justifiably in this case.
He has however not yet read my preferred-method book for instant cheerfulness, ie Candide by Voltaire. Superior in my view to Mr Dyer who is after all stretching a few observations over and over again. If you can get past the olde language, Candide has the advantage of a little more profundity I guess.
I think he should read Candide and have dutifully provided a classic Penguin copy. Also because this is Samuel Beckett’s month and lover wants to go see a play or two. Am all for it, but need the uplifting stuff first, much as I know to eat a bit of cheese or order chips (always available even in the finest establishments) before I down a satisfying champagne cocktail or two. Otherwise, it’s only trouble you’re inviting and Beckett is a whole heap if your life is not a happy one to begin with. Is Voltaire a suitable antidote to Beckett? Discuss.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger Carl Rogers said…

    Make someone's day with a spoof picture! go on you know you want to. . . Send me an image, give me an idea for a theme and leave the rest to me. E-mail me at carlrogers@spoofworld.co.uk and i will create a spoof picture just for you. YOUR OWN SPOOF PICTURE give it a go, you won't be disappointed. check out www.spoofworld.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home