Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

6 February - Houses & Shoes

Am sick of living in my abode. It’s time to upgrade, go larger, go somewhere better. For all that I change my outfits constantly I can’t seem to ever find the energy to repaint my walls or move the furniture around. My friend LH for example is planning to carpet the moment she finishes converting to wooden floors which is a few months after she’d done the trip in reverse. And she’s dreaming of a new sofa when the new one gets delivered and so on. Not me. Must be only person I know still sitting on sofa purchased in ’86. And still looking good. Anyway, the only way I can think of changing my environment is to sell and move elsewhere. This is when a good friend who’s just bought a house (current flat was only bought 3 years ago) informs me that you have to make an offer the minute you see something you like as that’s the way the market is. And am not talking Mayfair, am talking Queen’s Park. This is clearly ludicrous. You spend more time than that deciding to purchase a pair of shoes. She’s adamant that I will find out that this is the case. I suddenly feel panicked by this thought. I envisage a long, leisurely route into the home of my dreams. I can’t, can’t start on estate agents yet for a Summer move, so I go and see a large flat that a friend is showing to people on behalf of the owner, before it makes it to estate agent. I like it and it’s a fantastic price but it’s in an area I’ve never seen myself in so this requires some reflection. Two days later I phone my friend to say I’m still thinking about it and it’s probably a no anyway. She says not to worry as it’s been sold. I now feel the pangs of rejection. It’s gone…. But I was thinking about it.
Apparently you have to go and see lots of places so you get a feel for saying yes to one instantly. I'll say it again, it's mad, it can't be. I hope the market crashes and people regain sense.
I promise not to bore anyone with talk of houses. I’ll stick to shoes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home