Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, February 09, 2007

7 February - Jade & Diamonds & Pearls

Am looking for a pearl to buy as a christening present. I have loved pearls all my life, but so far never had any gifted. Must remember to nick mum’s. Boyfriends seem to view them as a bit old fashioned and they think they don’t go with me/my personality. Ok, am not a dead ringer for Audrey Hepburn and I don’t go around in little black shift dresses or twinsets but….Never mind that I subscribe to the adage that you should buy a person the present they hanker after and not what you have as a preference.

So I go to some shops and visit some websites. It’s an education, so much information. Of course I want a pearl fished by some South Seas diver but they must be as rare as a survivor of the Titanic. Pearls are all cultured these days. There seem to be so many available that you wonder how prices are set. For example, the Chinese and other Asians prize Jade above all. Now you never encounter a western person or Londoner wanting the most exquisite Jade ever as a gift. So it’s all relative. If the price wasn’t maintained somehow, I could buy jade here for not a lot and exchange it for some diamond. Or does the entire world fall under the spell of diamonds? I hate it that now men can seriously say to you ‘Ah but you wouldn’t want a diamond considering the trouble and strife people have to endure to provide these’. My answer is… you better give up coffee and chocolate because it’s not like there aren’t human rights issues there as well, mate’…
Anyway, it’s possible my days of jewels cravings are over. On the way back from India I purchased two gold plated bracelets on the plane. Never bought anything on a plane before but these looked good in the in flight mag and were dirt cheap. On my wrist they look the part. Cartier, Tiffany, you wouldn’t know the difference. The catches are a bit lose and I know for a fact that I’ll lose one any day soon. I pity the poor sod who finds it and thinks it’s come across some solid gold and diamonds and can pay the rent this month.
But I’ll keep my counsel for a little longer. Considering it’s the month of that dreaded silly man made celebration all hearts and sugariness, I must admit I’d still like a small and perfectly formed blue box…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home