Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, February 09, 2007

9 February - Out of the Mouth of Babes

If ever I was in any doubt about the fact that it's only my self-delusion that holds me together in the 40's is the new 30's bubble... There's this girl at work, sits close to me so we have an easy banter/rapport and make each other laugh. I tease her about the fact that it's going to take her years to pay off the student loan for her degree, she teases me because I seem to have an entire functioning wardrobe disseminated in various places at work. And so on. She teases me about what I eat (not great amounts, as I explain to everyone, it's a fact that after 40 you put on a pound or two every year, so says the scientists, and I'm doing my best to buck the reality) and I tease her about drinking too much and not exercising enough. Anyway... she doesn't have an easy rapport with a colleague in Germany. So I tell her I can call and get the information she needs. I do, I get it instantly and it's all done with a smile. And A. deadpans 'Well Agnes likes you 'cause you're the same age group!' 'And what age group would that be?' I ask with a smile whilst I watch her blush to her earlobes.... Ok, ok, A. is 23 and her mother is only a couple of years older than I am so yes, I am the generation of her mum! And Agnes is even older than I, I guess 50 but I could be wrong, it's those severe glasses and the Cerman accent. I stand chastised... A and I cannot be friends. I can't think of anything to say except 'Our age group got away with free degrees at Uni. Take that!' But it's true... my VWestwood stlye platforms must look comical to her....I am mutton dressed as lamb. But not as much as that Christa D'Souza journalist who every sunday in the Times is wearing some new outfit and looks scary with her long tresses and botoxed face. Positively witchy. I wonder if she's 49 trying to be 29...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home