Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, December 14, 2007

1 December - Scents & self denial

This would be the third or maybe second year I avoid telling anyone what my favourite perfume is. I don’t want to buy it for myself and I don’t want to be given it. To begin with it’s because it’s a line of perfumes that I discovered, rather than just one and out of the 15 or so on offer, I like at least 5 and at £50 odd a bottle, it would be an extravagance to purchase them all or ask for them, though it could be an idea to collect them. Ok I can come down to 2 I like the most if pressed. They’re male fragrances as I never was one for light and flowery, preferring heady spices that would make most of you sickly I guess.

But in the end, it’s clear that I like sneaking into Harrods (the first to have it) and/or Liberty, House of Fraser (not checked Selfridges but it’s probably there too) and douse my scarves or coats (I don’t do perfume on my person) in a quick spraying frenzy and carry on smelling the scent as I go along my daily business and bury my face in collars cuffs. Not sure I get high, but because I mix the scents, they take on a life of their own and nobody would ever guess what I’m wearing. Occasionally somebody says ‘That’s a bit strong!’ and I reply I was some harem woman in a previous life and I like to be lost in my olfactory cloud.

So yes, the psychological explanation is that I fear that if I had all my perfumes, they’d be devalued as most things are when you get what you covet. Though I have yet to try those counters where you get your own mixed. I don’t dare go near them.. what if they concot something I’ll love? I’ll have to buy it and then.. I won’t want it anymore.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home