Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, November 30, 2007

24 November - Forgetfulness & Cars

These are officially worrisome times. I cannot tell you all the other various things I forgot this week (because I forgot them) but... when they end up costing you money, you sort of wish there was a quick pill to take to re-connect the failing synapses.

Last saturday afternoon I parked my car near where the BF lives, in a resident's bay, making the usual mental note that it will have to be moved by Sunday evening or Monday morning before 8.30am to its usual spot for which she has a proper parking permit.

On Monday night I return to the BF's house after a party in town and notice on his floor a bright yellow note usually associated with car clamping. 'Oh darling, you've been clamped !?!' I say as I enter the living room a bit tipsy from my do. 'Not me, you' he replies. 'Me???.... ' as I start to say it and trail off, the penny drops. I had totally forgot my car parked in forbidden spot. As in, not once in over 48 hours had my usually reliable mental notes dropped by my consciousness to warn me 'Remember to move the car'. Not at all. A £130 quid later with clamp removed and stil having to wake up at the crack of dawn to move the car (couldn't do it there and then as still... drunk) I have to consider this must the beginning of the end of super organised me as I know me. The brain is aging, the rot is settling in. Things will be forgotten. My younger sibling regularly leaves her car keys in the car door for hours at a time so you could say it runs in the family or that it's even worse that it should hit her so young (ish).

Ah, just remembered one of the other things... I had forgotten. I had sort of hidden my credit cards somewhere (well, I try to stick to only using one at a time and keep the others safe) and went looking for them because the current one had a temporary block on it. Too long a story but my provider deemed a train ticket bought on a European site a suspicious transaction. All £25 of it... And the other cards were not in the usual place. So I went to my other flat. Not there. So I panicked but didn't cancel them. A few days later they turned up falling out of a building society book that was temporarily and wrongly kept in a drawer at work. Oh joy, but I must stress that this was incidental. I wasn't even looking for the building society passbook, I was probably looking for a lipstick. Jason Bourne.... clearly I couldn't have handled his life for 5 seconds. Am still worried about old age. The territory where your son comes down in the morning from his bedroom (he's visiting 92year old mother), finds all the fire hobs burning, says 'Mother what are you doing!!!' when he eventually finds her sitting calmly on the sofa and she says it wasn't her who did it but him! At which point do I investigate which nursing home I wish to be retired to ???

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home