Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, February 22, 2008

13 Feb - a few I forgot - Just as place markers for me

The failed attempt to see C and the old (very boring) punk rockers Carbon Silicon.

What is it with the bookclub? – someone always cries at the end of it. Maybe only a glass of wine each should be allowed rather than people drinking the whole bottle they brought along?

S.'s story about her mum and auntie in the 70’s chewing cinnamon sticks which acted as speed and so they wouldn’t eat and keep weight down. Then they went to the Caribbean in all their finest 70’s outfits and platform shoes, showing off like mad whilst visiting for a long holiday and there was no cinnamon to chew there and they started busting out of their clothes. Of course you have to be there when she tells you the story as she acts out mum and auntie and makes herself look like a one woman cast of 'Hair'.

Craig David changes socks and underwear 2 to 3 times a day (well, if he’s performing I presume the lights make him sweat and for promo interviews one has to feel good whilst answering the same same questions posed) and ok after the gym etc., but on an average day? Talk about OCD. And the story about the white shoes only worn once and the wardrobe arranged bloke-way black, grey, jackets, trousers etc. is true. So says a friend who worked with him and eventually walked out. Her only walk out in a long distinguished career.
'Does he have a g/friend?' we chorus at the dinner where these tidbits are imparted.
'Yes' comes the unbelievable reply. But we change subject and never find out who this suffering lady is...
Amazing, with all that OCD!
Yoko and the wedding ring and engagement that had to be cut off after 18 years


If you go out w/out make up (ok just lip gloss and thank god I reapplied after eating my farmers market quiche) you will run into people who look like they've just steppped out of the shower and are all buzzy and made up and are your BF's ex GF (granted from a few years ago but still). Luckily for you now feeling like a drab queen, you'll notice that she has a myriad, and I mean a myriad lines around her maked up eyes and so you feel much better. But never ever forget the basic rules. Mascara and lipstick are fundamental.


We go see 'No country for Old Men' with a couple of friends. I need translation/subtitles (I mean, I appreciate the lovely Kelly Macdonald (is she still going out with Dougie from Travis?) doing a fantastic Texan accent but… it’s very hard work) and Toph says he missed some of the Tommy Lee/Sheriff speech at the end. But… that’s what the web is for. I found the script and printed it. Joy. I didn’t like Cormac McCarthy’s ‘The Road’ at all but maybe I’ll go back and read his earlier trilogy. Anyway, movie was with E. and J. E. is the one who has the restraining order against the ex hubby who still harrasses her 4 to 5 years after it all ended. And it's scary harrassment which is hard to fathom in a man who's a well established businessman. He's clearly someone who'd have benefitted from major therapy and learning to let go and move on. Anyway, talking with E. about Vietnam and she’s just been to lecture at the Frontline club by a famous, now very old photographer who documented if for years until recent times. Toph has the first edition of that first, seminal book. Apparently it’s worth a lot. Am suggesting I get it gifted for Valentine so I can go spend the dosh when I ebay it... They look on horrified. I know, sometimes I'm a major philistine.


I just read this: 'Income has no practical value with no time'. I knew it! I've got my priorities right!
I also read this in the same paragraph almost: '(one has to learn to) Cultivate selective ignorance as otherwise it's all input and no output.' Ok, I fare much worse in this department. I'm still all input... sigh. It's kind of useful for always having something to comment about and I overuse the 'I read somewhere the other day that...' but in what way this knowledge benefits me is sort of not clear. I can't even use the info at the pub quiz because their questions always refer to something 'old'. When I once read that Leonard Cohen spent 3 or 4 years in a monastery (presumably with no access to internet and no deliveries of the LA Times), I was sooooo jealous. That's the only way to do no input.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home