Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

30 January - Upgrades & Beads

The boys may be famous in their own heads, but have they been upgraded? Doubt so as their clothes were a bit falling apart despite my efforts with the washing powder. All I did was ask not to be sat next to infants or children and that must have struck a chord with Miss BA check in. I sit in the lounge at 2am waiting to board with a smile on my face knowing a splendid seat awaits me. And am looking forward to coffee as in my haste to be a good tourist, I gave hotel porter my last 50R (a dollar) forsaking a drink at the airport. Shouldn’t have done so, as when I sat in the taxi, the driver asked me for an advance of 100R and he ran back to give it to the hotel guy who got him the fare! The last scam I endured in a sense. I told the driver he was an idiot too as that backsheesh was 1/3 of the fare and clearly too much. Ah well.

Opposite me is a 60 something man dressed in white who is stringing a long necklace of ivory coloured beads on a string. From here none of it looks precious. No shaven head so no neophyte Buddhist. Is it a past time? Could be an easy and portable one. When the beads are all strung up you undo them and start again, Penelope waiting for Ulysses style. Is he 60? Actually he may be a pensioner, he has full head of grey curls, but I can't see his teeth so I can’t tell apart from that he’s a bit jowly. A 40 year old friend has been shagging only 50 plus guys in the last year or so. She had a great time, but two of those are brothers and of Spanish gypsies stock so perhaps they have good sex genes. Her other Californian oldie sells champagne and drinks copious quantities of it, so perhaps the oxygen bubbles in his bloodstream keep him young? Between her and I we’ve sort of kept the universe in balance I’d say as I pick at an age group lower than mine mostly.
Gosh the shops are open even at this hour. So I’ve gone and done it again and contravened possibly one of my top lessons (the ones you tell yourself). Have bought jewellery for myself: an expensive gold bracelet, and several other less costly items. When we all know that jewellery should only be bought for us by men! But it’s nice to look lovely in Bus Class no? Roll on 4am. Let’s go back home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home