Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Thursday, March 09, 2006

24 February - Fashion Week & Weak Fashion

Just as well it was fashion week and Connie drags me to some fashion shows and the stands at the Nat History Museum tent-like mini conurbation. It's all very well. It's fun, but I never bought into fashion that much and I wonder why. There we were music kids naturally consorting with the St. Martin's kids who would dress the music kids etc but I never made any friends there. For some reason I viewed fashion as being less grown up than music/literature/art and therefore less worthy of spending anytime on it? Let's face it, with a few notable exceptions people who go to fashion school are people who can't read or write. Is this controversial and patronising enough for today? If dressing dolls is what you do as a kid, then dressing adults is still a kids' game? No idea why I think this. Suffice to say that a friend says 'Wow, fashion shows, aren't you lucky?' and I find myself replying a little surlyishly that it's all a whole load of inflated bollox really. You arrive, you queue for ages, you jostle to get in, you get your seat and wait and then it's all over in a flash ie. 20 mins max. Time it, how long does it take for a few outfits to be walked down a catwalk? I go for the music and the setting but even that can be disappointing as this year's tracks are used over and over again.
Ok, this is London I'm in. Am sure if I was a the Chanel show in Paris or the D&G in Milan, it may all seem a bit more interesting but yeah, not here.
Of course the ones who are having a whale of a time are the skinny 18 year olds who are in their first year at St Martin's or want to go or didn't get in and so are going to be.... a stylist! (as in, I go get stuff from the shops for you to wear, maybe I pair this off with that.. how about it? How hard can that be? doh! ). Back in the 80's days of overblown budgets for vids and photo sessions we used to pay these people £500/700 A DAY to go fetch a few glad rags to make Mica Paris look less fat or something. Then again we used to pay the make up artist actually more and some were good. There' Pat MacGrath in 8 pages of Vogue make up sublime design for whoever she works for and she was Mica's girl. That's it, stop reminiscing, a sign of lack of sex and serotoning clearly.
Ok, maybe suddenly not having a lover also means I go replenish the bitterness cart I yoke under and drag along? That must be it.
The fashion tent is moderately fun. Whenever I see the wholesale prices I think, yep, that's about right, but I wouldn't buy it when you double it or treble it. Nothing blows me away apart from an Indian designer from Bombay who has the most incredible fabrics Ashish N Soni. There you go, my tip for the top.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home