Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Sunday, August 13, 2006

3 August - What I know about his wife's brother

Dinner with some friends of a friend. They all used to work together about ten years ago. At some point the conversation turns to ‘You’'ve changed or you've not changed or do you think you’ve changed? ' And so on. I've known them all less than 8 months so can't judge. I’m inclined to say that the my main friend here hasn't.
I tell them if you keep a diary, those things we wrote before blogs, and you happen to pick up one covering, say '82, as I did recently, you'd be surprised or not to find how your views were fundamentally the same. I for example, was out every night much as I do now and my favourite fruit is still peaches (the hairy ones not the smooth ones) and I didn’t care about pets and neither do I care now.
At this point the youngest in the group, Maggie, deadpans 'I was five in '82'.
There's no answer to that. I’m speechless as I flash back to copies of magazines that no longer exist…. Flexipop anyone?
At some point we’re joined by yet another ex co-worker of theirs, L. who’s been having on off awful marital strife, moving out, moving back in, there’s a small child to make decisions even harder to take.
‘s funny how I happen to know a lot about his bro in law B who sort of broke a friends’ heart a couple of years back or so. B was also was one whose wife had an affair and treated him like scum (or so we think, only ever had his side of the story) but with 3 young kids involved separation was difficult. There’s a lot of to and fro in these things, but the annoying thing is when they still share same house as they break up and tell you that they can’t make their thing with you public yet as spouse (remember it’s her who’s leaving him) would still go ballistic if she knew. Thus my friend was consigned to the restricting role of mistress, though how can you be one if he’s separating? Are you sure he really is separating? But all those issues to do with sharing property and money we do know can get vicious (macca/lady macca?) so yeah, it’s not about the kids that much, it’s about the money.
Anyway, I keep shtum obviously, especially as now it hardly matters; my friend is over B, who’s gone on to several more relationships including one with another good acquaintance of mine! But am trying to work out if L’s wife being that she is B’s sister may not share some characteristics with B’s ex wife. I mean she sounds like a bit of a harridan and so is B’s ex. In fact her newspaper column photo confirms it. As I have several male friends who’ve married versions of their mothers or versions of their sisters, I find this fascinating. Though it could easily be argued that I look for some characteristics in my men which I can trace back to my father. But physically… no.
Feels voyeuristic somehow to know this much about L and his relations and he knows nothing about me.. Oh and my friend has clearly not learnt her lesson as she’s currently dating another man in process of separating, but still living in same house as spouse only she seems to dump their children on him often/when it suits her, and this is his excuse for not being able to see my friend very often. Do I believe this? Only partly.
One last thing about B, he has the same surname as a famous radio dj with whom my friend also had a whirlwind liaison of a week or so duration. She was sadly supplanted w/o any explanation by many more after as there had been many more before. She says the week was worth it for the sex (and no, no one would ever believe he’s any good, makes most people barf in fact, but I take her word for it) and she was thankfully kept out of the Sunday papers. They don’t bother with his conquests any more as they are so frequent and he never aims too high. Remember Gerrie Haliwell???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home