Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, November 24, 2006

22 November - Don't believe your Eyes

Visiting a friend who works in a top Beauty salon /spa in expensive part of town, as you do.
Am at reception with her, soaking up explanations of various treatments, all sounds pretty scientific these days, they even have vitamins in spray form. Guess they appeal to the woman/man too busy to actually get a glass of water and ingest that way. Must be why they cost 3 times as much then.
All treatments and products sound so good, so problem solving that I would like to have them all, except that, should I ever have that kind of spare money, I’d be running off on cruise to Antarctica first, stopping off in all of South America and fitting in Greenland and the North Pole too. You get my drift/philosophy here.
Funnily enough all the therapists that work there are under 30 and in possession of flawless, unlined complexions themselves. Wonder if clients are subliminally thinking it’s the spa environment that’s responsible for this luminous skin/health and not just YOUTH dew! It must feel ridiculous at some point to ask a 27 year old about what collagen plumping thing works best or this laser or that laser. Ok you don’t have to have had cancer to be an oncologist, I know that, but it still seems odd. What would these young beauticians really know about the psychological scars of feather lines spreading on older women’s faces? Anyway, this expensive and powerful looking lady arrives, sort of Jackie Collins but ten years younger - maybe - and she’s wearing the big black shades a’ la Bono. She must notice me looking at her (raining outside so yeah, what's with the shades?) and she volunteers ‘I’ve just had my eyes done’.
‘Show me show me ‘ I find myself clapping enthusiastically. The shades come off and there are these beautiful bloody and black and blue stitches festooning her eyelids. She had 7mm of skin fold removed she tells me. That’s practically one centimetre folks! My mother will need this as she’s nearing 70 and drooping eyelids will make it difficult to see (wonder if actually would prevent watching inane television in which case.. am tempted to leave as is) and she’s scared of the operation as it is and here you have instead a happy testimonial declaring ‘Only a few days indoors and now just feeling the pinch and a bit of discomfort’ but clearly proud.

She then tells another story about her second botox going wrong (same 'doctor' performing) and her whole brow collapsing and leading to a month at home and a sort of Frankenstein look. Must have been bloody worrying, you can’t really believe them when they say it will pass and return to normal as this wasn’t supposed to happen!!!! I can’t ask her what she does for a living or how it affected her job /life. But she’s here for some other consultation re. laser lipo as ‘It’s time to look after myself’ . Whe hey, go ‘girl’. If Demi does it….
Later on I see a famous actress coming in . She’s 31 and here for back to back facials. 'Why 2?' I ask? Because one pumps up the skin more if done on top of another one. Wow. So that’s what it takes to be splendid on red carpet (or wedding, adds the not so star struck Oz beautician who also has a bar job in the evenings to save more money). A couple of hundred quid. Cool. And then they retouch the magazine pictures anyway. No wonder none of us can compete or, conversely, why people watch celebs in the jungle sans make up/retouching. Only time to believe your eyes.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was looking out for Student Travel related information and I have found your this post. Sorry, I have seen that isn't a perfect match. But, anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn�t a perfect match. What you have in your content is very interesting for most people.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home