Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, June 15, 2007

10 June - Jealousy & Misremembering

Not an original post, but I wrote this to a friend earlier and it's just one of those things I put here to remind myself of something or other.

Am jealous… I hear you're going to glastonbury...

darn! not been for god knows how many years.. before the big fence went up in any case. Think the last one was an awfully muddy /rainy one and that spoiled it so much that i had to take a few years off to recover and then... that was it. Bear in mind that I was sleeping in the back of an estate car within one of the VIP enclosures so i didn't have it that bad, but mud for 3 days! awful! it meant you could never sit down somewhere and rest your legs which were 4 times as tired because lifting a foot out of mud x a millino steps, becomes a superhuman effort. oh and i fell in the mud and it never dried off and I was freezing. I can honestly say I do not remember who was playing or what was the highlight. It always surprises me when people display perfect memories of what they felt on such and such a night watching such and such a band. I mean, I can do that for ten occasions at the most but my times at Glastonbury? No major music revelations. Ah I know, think Portishead were playing and we didn’t make it into their tent. Ah well.... And we missed the notorius s hit spraying incident in the dance tent by ... half an hour or so.

Having said that, the year that we arrived and plunged straight into Underworld's (or was it the Prodigy?) maddest set and I promptly lost my friend P. who had the tent and the car and never found him till the last day wandering sunburnt and in a daze after taking about 40 e's was.. just great. I had the keys to the car and I knew where the tent was, so i was fine, just kept worrying that he had no money, no toothbrush, no clean er.. clothes.I am like a jewish mother most of the time and am not jewish after all! I got to drive his BMW back as he took a lift with two mad women on acid. And still he got home safe.
He had the best time though.. ended up marrying the girl who shared the 40 e's with him. They live in a massive barn in essex and have 2 gorgeous kids. I'll never hear a bad word said about e's. Though for the longest time everytime i saw her, i wanted to ask 'how could you sleep with him, he was so filthy?' (as in unwashed). I had had a previous dalliance with him and prematurely ended it when i realised i couldn't get him to ever remove the dirt under his fingernails. You think about it girls, it's not just the cooking that gets affected, but foreplay becomes a 'get away from me' moment. And once i put all his filthy cushion covers in a bucket with bleach and he told me off! Now he has a potato field so i imagine dirty fingernails look sort of bucolic.

there you go... am going all nostalgic as i don't think i'll ever have such a great time, especially after deciding i'll never go to a festival ever again. Benicassim last year was good/bad enough and cost me about £600 all told. and what did i see? franz ferdinand? placebo? the horror! not worth it mate. but glastonbury is different...

ps. and now everyone has mobile phones and they spend all their time on it arranging rendez vous. Drives you mad. My advice is to say you have no reception and lose who you go with .. just for a day. It makes it all so much better, though of course it's not wise to lose the girlfriend! or maybe you should?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home