Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

4 June - Some I forgot

So, last week I also went to see Pelleas Et Melisande at ROH. I was bored that day so went wearing a dark and curly wig. Turns out next day that a work colleague was also at the performance (we do sound so old going on about opera whilst getting a coffee) and sat in a box directly opposite our el cheapo standing tickets but good enough to catch every baton nuance of Mr Rattle. Colleague could have seen me and that would have been funny, though not easy to explain. Maybe though she would have not recognised me at all. After all twenty or so years ago I stood in a bar watching a boyfriend trying and failing to locate me. Why the wig then? Same reason, sometimes you want red hair or platinum blonde and dress accordingly. Toph took it in good humour as had remembered to warn him and he'd met the wig once before in bed. I did learn that you should fix your wig properly or you spend all evening touching it especially if it's very long curly dark hair and so it weighs down and tries to drag back from your forehead. How do they fix Beyonce with all that shaking about she does? Maybe they're extensions and not wig? Also, if you ever need to meditate to music, getting standing tickets for a Debussy opera is good investment. It wasn't an opera to watch, though some of the music was sublime and you could not hear a pin drop, though somebody coughed and Rattle told us to try and be quiet (er). That's what you get with incredible acoustics. So yes, was really nice 3 hours of silence and the fact we were standing sort of added to the feeling spiritual and doing a sort of penance or is that penitence?

I also went past one of those shops where you exchange clothes and saw my strappy Vivienne Westwood red shoes on sale for £200! They'd given me £80 for them, which I was happy enough for as had seen them in a sale for £120 but heck, maybe they were discontinued too soon and now more collectable?
They were unwanted gift or rather wanted gift only giver had not picked the right VW...! Silly man. I had been hoping for her trademark platforms of course and these were not that obviously VW! Plus had to get them out of my sight as they were a sort of blood present by which I mean from an ex lover I had trained to give me shoes and Toph had admired them and it just didn't feel right to wear them with him. Ain't I sweet?

I also forgot to write about J's hedge fund ball which was graced by the likes of Bill Clinton and Madonna. They do know how to treat themselves in the super eraning enclaves. Madge was not preforming btw, but presumably has money hedge funded and is precious client. At said ball they had a 10k per ticket raffle auction to win a pair of 25k diamond earrings. Er…not a good return /odds but J had been told by his boss he had to cough up for a ticket. And he didn't win. He had taken as a guest a wannabe swedish girfriend in whose intimates he's yet to make himself welcome. I think he thought this would be the clincher, but if I know gold diggers who don't put out till they have a ring, I'd imagine that instead of being impressed by his gesture she probably was keeping an open list of other (even richer than J) catches present. Am I too cynical? I wish I wasn't... Must find out how he got on.

Also last week consultant extraordinaire and part time supperman Dr S sent me an email captioned 'I went shopping and bought two of these' . I opened the picture and saw a pretty stunning giant helicopter, which I know he needed for his medical business in the Bahamas. I forwarded to a friend who has other ideas about his business and implied drug running from West Indies. See, am not the only cynic in my world.

I also went to ROH (again) as love Cathy Marston's ballets…but her Echo and Narcissus did not make me cry. Something about the music. If you don’t like the music (too dissonant, very Jenufa) you end up not seeing how fluid and wonderful the movements are because they are less appealing? I know this is not the way to go about these things but it was a disappointment, though the reception was rapturous so er... maybe the moves truly were innovative.

And a friend was in town form Belgium and said 'I want to try the primark experience where is it…I have 45mins between meetings'. So I duly explained the cardinal rule to use ten mins for shopping and the rest of her widnow to pay for the items. A few hours later she texted me this: 'Just been in. Mouth fell open on seeing their ridiculous cashier system. No f@@@ing way, walked straight out. Can t do that.' Well, she's not a teenager either and has no time to waste.

And we went to Queens park on Sunday afternoon. Toph had never been there. Now that he’s considering the area as a possible place to buy in as it’s been properly gentrified to his satisfaction, it’s too late. Our friends who have bought a house by the park last year paid 900k for it so now over a million one figures and they've recently acquired Neil and Glenys Kinnock as neighbours so tough, too late. It’s Harlesden or er... the mind is in pain at the thought.

Phew. Must tell you about Lord of the Rings and the gay 4oth in Hoxton...
Later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home