Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Thursday, July 19, 2007

15 July - It's a jazz thing ie boring 8 times out of 10

I do believe you have to go try foods you've never eaten and see shows you hadn't considred, so when ages ago the BF said he had tix for the Medeski trio at the Barbican I did say he should take someone else but then... it was a Sunday and I was bored so I went. He'd told me he'd caught half of one of their shows in US and they're big on the circuit there and it was electrifying etc etc. Thank god I joined him at the end of the support act who were appalling experimental noise, can't recall their name but they don't record anything and that's their USP so you won't come across them and don't kill yourself to get into a gig either. So, Medeski now also has a Scofield who used to play with Miles Davis on hand so this is extra special and gig of the week in TO or some such and oh there's the jazz critic of the Guardian as I get to my seat. But what I didn't know is that Medeski is the keyboard player and so it's his band really, despite the other 3 names. And the keyboard is what I hate the most. Relentless noodling in a retro style. You get a little respite when he graciously lets the other musicians take a solo on their instrument but it's just ... too much and we leave before the end. BF is apologetic for getting it wrong, and he knows his jazz shit. Then we spend 90 mins getting home as I had helpfully suggested not taking the car but forgot that Ken has yet to sort out the f ucking tube on Sundays/weekends, any days of the week really, that's why he's pushing the cycling agenda but that's another story. We eventually get back so tired and dispirited that we have no sex and the next day he's off for nearly three weeks. Medeski, it's your fault, if I ever see you in the street, you're toast.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home