Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Monday, December 31, 2007

29 December - Must be nicer

This past week it appears I've been ruder than usual to various people. Usually it's just the ones I work with and what's the worst that can happen? Goodbye bonus? Well, I'd rather keep my image up and keep trainig for some future career where I can be a total harpy. But seriously....
I lost it with a friend who let me down for dinner an hour before a reservation was due at the Wolsley. Well, if it's taken a month to get a table and we are only five, then it means we've been carefully selected for our possible contributions to a great evening and that other possible diners have not been deemed worthy. Therefore, to cancel an hour before to stay at home and have pizza with some relatives is just .. not on. But I do it carefully, it's not worth losing a good friend over these things.
I lost it in a very minor way with the book club possee who were happy to drink for however long it took for one last person to turn up, and then start discussing the book. I stood firm, said we better start as I had to go at ten pm. No, no, no, once there's too much wine and fags, who cares about the book and I have no intention to make these couple of hours once a month turn into a whole evening. Don't have time. Very uncharitable of me when the house we met at was all lovely and decked out in Xmas cheer.
Then I lost it, in a snappy way, the the on/off girlfriend of a friend who was hoping I could interpret some behaviour for her. Well I did, but it wasn't what she wanted to hear. It was all done by text which makes it worse. I sort of wanted to say which part of N and O don't you understand but it's true that he's been a master of fogging the issue. Except that from my loftier, much older perspective, it was very clear she should stop wasting time waiting for some fairytale ending.
So there you have it. I'm not nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home