Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Monday, December 31, 2007

18 December - Social Lottery & Friends

It's that time of the year when we all frantically try to catch up with people we haven't yet managed to see 'before xmas'. In my case, as will be away first 3 weeks in January, there's an added element of 'but I won't see you for ages'. But it all feels a bit forced, and as I meet one friend for coffee/dinner, am thinking 'Shit, have to still fit in so and so but how many dinners out can I have in one weeks considering that I can't do it the model way ie. poking at food on a plate, if I order it, I eat it and I don't order salads, no, I order regular food and that's fattening. Anyway, on the phone to kooky venitian friend S., she tells me she's having the same problem and this year she's had the idea of writing all the friends' names on pieces of paper and drawing a few names out of a hat in order to get to decide which friends to see PROPERLY, ie giving undivided attention. She says she's going to tell the others that sorry, this year it's not their turn.
I think it's a fantastic idea but what if she draws other names next year and this time those people (having been offended this year) will say 'Sorry no, doesn't work like that, we don't want to see you now nyeah nyeah nyeah'. She hadn't thought about this but says she's still going ahead with the new protocol.

I tell her she should consider it for her paramours as she currently has three: her bank manager in Venice, a lawyer in Rome and a musician in Frankfurt. As she's a creative herself, my advice is to, for once, ditch the musician and try something different or at least... loaded with cash. She says she will, after all she's not kissed any of them yet. She also says she's made a rule and will try to see each at least 3 times first, before progressing to kissing stage. Who'd have thought we'd go back to these kind of mores? Me, personally, I'd like the return of the marking of the dancing card.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home