Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, May 16, 2008

4 May - Are expensive vests the equivalent of album fillers?

Am meeting C. who’s in town for work tomorrow. She’s in the shoe department in Harvey Nicks. ‘Why are you buying Italian designers here when at home you can get them with 20% discount?’ I ask? ‘Because I have no time to shop at home’ comes the reply. Oh yes, she works too hard.

She eventually settles on a pair of Siegerson Morrison and drops the Guccis. She’d picked up two pairs and one was frankly unremarkable, not that either was worth the £300 plus price tag. Then remembers she’s going to NY in a few weeks and could have bought the gladiator style cream and gold sandals Siegerson Morrison there. ‘But sometimes they don’t have all the lines, each shop chooses for own clientele’ she says in her defence. I know, I know. ‘And I have no time’ she adds for good measure. ‘What? You’re so far from a Harry Bendel that you can’t run in and get them? Get your PA to phone ahead and reserve the size. That’s how you make best use of your time.

As I wait for her to pay, I pick up some perfectly plain ballerinas by Alaia and they’re over £200. That’s taking the piss and whoever buys them is really stupid. Don’t mind paying for something specifically different/tat required some craftsmanship but these are plain little nothings which will get ruined in a day.

It’s the same at Stella Macartney. Some items are nice and unique, some are just fillers. Maybe designers do the same as recording artists? Would a plain t-shirt be the equivalent of the 3rd track from the end which could be dropped and nobody would notice? My other friend M. buy a plain shirt with a bit of ruffle, over £150, nothing to denote any design nous. And her sister L. picks up a simple vest with a bit of lurex, £120 if am not mistaken. Why? Because the mark up is incredible probably. It’s a silly vest. Ok made in Italy, so not such cheap labour but it’s a silly nothing vest…. And M. has it in black she says. I predict that after one wearing and one wash, it will be treated just like any Topshop vest. But these two have to have labels…

Why does Stella make these things? Probably because she knows her suckers, and am not just singling her out. On the way out I see a L’wren Scott cardigan that seems sweet, until I turn the tag and it’s over £400. Totally ludicrous. I make a note to limit visits to these shops to a minimum. They raise my blood pressure unnecessarily. Like a tube of Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser for £32. They’re all at it. Milking stupid consumers.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home