Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Thursday, April 24, 2008

26 April - It used to be ironic

Still writing w/o editing on 16 May.

We go for Jap food in Mornington Crescent (a fraction of the price of other places, but the batter on the tempura is not so good) and then to Koko for a friend's birthday. It's Guilty Pleasures and it's gone massive. B'day girl is loving it and I somehow by now have shoes that hurt my feet so can't get into the dancing. Toph doesn't even try.

He says, and he's right, that when Sean R. started this club in various bars, it used to be ironic. You never new what would come next on the turntable (er.. cd player) and you could have a smile or two recognising the guilty pleasures. Now it seems it's just a seamless hits of the 70's or 80's compilation or a wedding party as he reels off tunes that don't present any surprises. I'm waiting to hear 'We're family' and then I'd be off. And for the record, none of Michael Jackson's songs can be deemed a guilty pleasure. They're all great though I personally hate 'Ben' or whatever that's one called. So it's just a disco with dj on stage and a few diversions in female dancers and gay men dancing.

The place is full to the rafters and I can't get over how much money they must be making with very little lay out on their part. It’s just a disco for god’s sakes… the dancers don’t look like professionals, they prob. Do it for the free entry, some guest list for friends and a little cash. Don't know what Sean is on but he's jumping around a lot and doesn't appear to be sweating in his powder blue suit. Always was a good dresser. Anyway, don't begrudge him the success, who wouldn't milk a cash cow? Earlier coming in, I had noticed some old faces/friends of his from way back, running the show at the entrance. All my age of course, whereas the clubbers were all young/hen night sort of crowd. No longer any chance of running into someone I know or to observe some funky clad daisylowes. Nope, all a sea of migrants from School Disco clubs (bet they're soooo upset they didn't come up with the guilty pleasure concept), with various parties dressed the same hen night style. I can't knock it, they're hugely having fun and I'm glad we came, but, there won't be a next time. I'm there at the beginning of trends, never at the end. It's just the way it is and am not feeling arrogant about it.

Spend Monday listening on repeat to William orbit

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home