Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

11 June - will & the opening of envelopes

Joys of websites part...1. Once every few years (ok, months) I google names of people I knew (if I still know them now it stands to reason that I am fairly up to date with what they are doing) so found company website of an ex boyf. which has a forum page which reads like an online blog giving precise details of events ‘he’ will be attending and reviews of such. Which is marvellous as it makes it a perfect solution to the how best to avoid him problem. If he had stalker exes however, it would work against him of course to be so precise in what he will be attending (exhibitions, theatre, clubs, gigs, industry lectures etc).

The forum is all written in the royal ‘we’ and yes, he now can count on some underlings in his no doubt zany and upbeat coloured office in Soho, but he’s always gone to the opening of an envelope so he’ll be going along with the underlings no doubt and only he would enjoy the time consuming task of writing the column in the first place. This also mentions what he’s currently listening to (ahhh, it’s like we’re still together… though he never mentions the Paramount channel and Seinfeld (not trendy I guess). Were most of our laughs comedy induced I now wonder). And most (or least) surprisingly, he seems to have taken up knitting. Which, if you didn’t know it, is a big male trend now he tells us. In his marketing world, I have to point out, a trend is what Londoners who notoriously are easily bored, can start with relative ease as we have all those small enclaves of, er, loners who aspire to trendiness and so will invent something different and often - being trendy allows you not to pay for your drinks in various parts of town, Notting Hill, Shoreditch etc. you know it already.

I have yet to see a male knitter, but saw a family recently (ie. with dad), at a sidewalk café’ and all busy threading those coloured plastic strands into useless ‘things’ you can tag to your keys, phone, luggage. This focussing activity was probably embraced by the kids at school who couldn’t get the original anti-bullying or anti-racism rubber bands the whole country is sporting. Funnily enough I gave one (of the rubber bands, not the other plastic thingie) to a friend’s daughter in another country recently, aiming to put her at the forefront of trendiness in her school, but I miscalculated her interest in forging that role for herself. She said she didn’t want it.
I am sure I did something similar with beads/or other stuff when I was 12 and before you scream, no it wasn’t macrame’ though and my father certainly did not contribute to the activity. So I guess times have a-changed. Now, let me check what Ex is doing this week….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home