Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

16 November - Madonna

Madonna at Koko So VIP daaahling. So many old faces, so many memories in that place. The Clash for a start. Music Machine as it was then, Psychedelic Furs, Adam and the Ants and many more. By the time Madonna played in ’83 it was Camden Palace. At the time it felt like I was there every Thursday for Club for Heroes after it moved there from smaller premises at the Barracuda in Baker St., it was like walking into a bar were you know everybody at or wish you did. The uber cool people, Steve and Rusty… we spent an inordinate amount of time spying each other’s clothes. I was never one of the too fashionable people. Deliberately so I thought - an observer with a journalistic mission rather than a shop assistant wannabe. Oh I could be cruel. And I was there for lots of gigs in between though the only one I remember right now was Grace Jones blowing us away at her album launch…
Funnily enough in her interview on Aol Madonna says when she came to London in ’83 she saw how much style mattered to us and she was totally in awe of Boy George. Blimey! We knew him! Like you know, to talk to! My friend Christine was his biggest fan even after I told her he slept with Jon Moss.

Dear Madonna, sorry I didn’t think much of you when I came to see you with Francis and Paula. You had that netty black vest, the leggings under the skirt, lots of rubber bracelets, flat dancing boots and short hair and big hoop earrings but you were a little too round for a dancer, your dance steps were crap and your two male dancers nothing special and your voice weak and all nasally and your tunes nothing memorable. The audience was sparse and we stood midway in front of the stage, arms crossed. And I was jealous because despite the low key quality of your appearance, Francis was mesmerised. He was staring at your boobs I think. He declared you’d go far and Paula and I laughed and bitched ‘What does he know? He manages Dead or Alive for god’s sake, the lamest of the Liverpool bunch’.

How wrong was I heh? Well you know, if you thought Siouxsie Sioux or Kate Bush had a great voice you couldn’t but pity Madonna doing ‘Lucky Star’. But work hard and you get somewhere kids. That’s the lesson.

Coincidentally Michael Clark had a new show ‘OO’ at the Barbican. I didn’t go and see it but there you go, another former wild child who according to a review “drew a studiously chic crowd, many of whom looked ready for a night of nostalgia clubbing. Most of the people I talked to spoke of growing up with Clarke’s work, and reminisced fondly about his appearances with dildos, corsets and chainsaws in the 1980s. (Madonna wasn’t the only one) And there were whoops when Clarke, dressed in luminous white and wearing a safety pin in his ear, bounced on stage to take a bow. The production juxtaposed OO, a new work accompanied by punk rock music from Iggy Pop and the Wire with O, a reworking of Clarke’s 1994 interpretation of Igor Stravinsky’s Apollo.”I have fond memories of Clark’s shows. One major boyfriend took me to it as a first date kind of thing. Aaahh Ahh, should have gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home