Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

28 October - puss in boots & sex pistols

Wearing new musketeer style boots, very Halloween or Gunpowder plot. DKNY, very high. I feel like I’m a 70 year old scared to slip and break my hips as I slowly walk down the approach to my station. It’s wet too and the wrong leaves are on the walkway naturally. Thank god for the banister. If this is how those old people feel, god, don’t let me get to that point. Truly, having to edge along slowly, taking forever to cross roads, get on transport. Oh no! or getting fat as one can’t get out of the house often enough due to how difficult it is to walk. I can’t bear thinking about it.
As I get to work and discuss the ‘puss in boots’ boots a colleague gets her ruler out and … they are ‘only’ 4”! Must be something about the constriction of the style. These things are not to be taken lightly though as Sarah Jessica Parker has just snapped a tendon falling off her shoes. I’d rather that happened on a skiing accident than just in any stupid street. At least on the slopes some exciting trip on a fast stretcher down a mountain would ensue. Not that I probably would have time to enjoy given the insane pain snapped tendons give you. So, only 4" yet I felt I was in pole dancing shoes or something. Alison is about to start her intermediate course and has purchased some clear Perspex and gold ones. Very stylish compared to the lurid red vinyl ones she had. Still, those have a few inches of platform so don’t feel so vertiginous. However, the boots would look best with the ‘collar’ turned up and a mini skirt, which is sadly below my age allowance. Indeed as I describe them to an old friend on the phone he asks me if I’m wearing a short skirt with them and I have to puncture that little fantasy, plus he’s a friend so he’s not allowed to form any exciting pics in his head. Of course one should do it the Moss way and have jeans tucked in but anyone not of her proportions looks stupid. What to do? I know, purchase frock coat, which is not in keeping with this year’s military theme (that and the Russian one). Anyway they are lovely soft and with a leather bow tied at the front of the ankle. Adam Ant would nick them off me I’m sure.

Talking of which, it was 30 years ago that Bazooka Joe, his band, had the Sex Pistols as support at the infamous St Martin’s School of Art first gig by the protopunks – they were still wearing plimsolls at this point and no Sid Vicious, in fact the Beatles loving Glen Matlock. Anyway, I wasn’t there but my friend Robin was in Bazooka Joe and they were very miffed by the Pistols, and pulled the plug on them. But Adam had seen the future and promptly quit singing with them too! It seems life has been kinder somehow to Robin. Well, not having mental problems probably is an advantage. None of us would recognise Adam /Stuart in the street if we saw him these days. Funny thought that back then I was at school and short of any cash to purchase my DNKY boots - ok £150 down from £600, think about that! I saved £450! But now it’s too late to prance about singing Prince Charming and crossing arms at the wrists above my head, she says wistfully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home