Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Monday, November 28, 2005

22 November - Dylan

Sorry about so much music related stuff on this blog, but so many other people discuss movies and I hardly make it to the cinema.
Off to Bob Dylan and am on virgin territory here, though swotted listening to various albums over two days to get acclimatised. Yes, read the bio and watched the Scorsese docs but I never remember any songs. Me and the Dear John guy stand a little awkwardly. Yes the letter was sent and a lovely reply received, merely acknowledging that I was right but not proffering any disagreement on its content. Sad to see you go but that’s the way it goes sort of thing. So it was hard for both perhaps not to lean into the other’s body, hold hands and exchange the odd kiss. But we manage. There is no undercurrent of desire, like it’s evaporated so it’s relatively easy. For my part I’ve flipped a switch. If we were in love this would take on a whole different meaning. Dylan is one of his favourite artists, he can sing the lyrics to many of the songs, tells me the titles, is majorly excited by the tunes on offer and it would go down in the couple history book as the night we went to Dylan and Lisa ‘got him’ finally – via making hip again a la White Stripes and now she’s my woman, she gets Dylan! Sort of echoes of ‘Diner’ if you wish. Funny how he’d never get Madonna.
I choose this opportunity to say I’ going to Duran Duran at Christmas, with my gay friend Justin and we’ll dress up and he’ll sing along to Wild Boys and I’ll sing along to Girls on Film – maybe Justin can imagine Boys On Film... Dear John says he never got DD, though had one of their singles. I tell him that he wasn’t old enough to get them. He says ‘I was 15’ and I say ‘And I was old enough to shag one of them’. Though never did anything about it. Bit too wan for my taste. I say you like blues and stuff, while my route into music is via Bowie. He says he loves Bowie too, but turns out it’s Low, not the Hunky Dory/Aladdin Sane dress up version. Our differences are documented and sorted. However, I think it was good to mention DD, he’ll have gone home happily reassured that no, we didn’t have a future.
NB. Of course I’m deliberately making this into a silly thing. Of course relationships don’t rest on these flimsy foundations – at least not past your teenage years! Anyway, I also pointed out that I’d seen by then the first Eurythmics gig, v. electronic /v. dark and so I was not a fashion puppet into DD’s frilly shirts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home