Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Thursday, May 10, 2007

5 May - Three Days Off

A long w/end… We give it a try, not going anywhere that is and one day is perfectly fine, we go exploring in Marylebone which is dangerously close to Oxford St and a wrong turning takes me to Primark so finally now I know what it all means, pile ‘em high etc. Once again the sight of the immense queue despite 14 tills stocked by giggling youngsters, sees me abandoning the 3 items I wanted to get. Spend 40 mins of my time to spend £12… not worth it, have more pressing things to do. Guess this can only be done by coming with six girlfriends and then leaving one to draw the short straw and purchase for all whilst the other five go sup cocktails nearby…

Anyway after fixing bikes, cleaning the car, organising a not so well attended picnic (rather think the weather frightened them off rather than own popularity waning), a visit to the playground with some friends’ kids, two movies, a long tour and reading stop over at Waterstones, brunch in Chiswick (only celeb in town or our ‘caff’ Natasha Kaplinsky… I don’t know who she is but Toph has a fondness for newsreaders, must be the little boy inside him from back in the days when an authoritative female voice on TV seemed the height of sexyness and points her out to me across the eggs Florentine), the papers, a poker tournament and half of AM Homes’ new novel digested, one exercise class (I do mine on the Saturday, but cry off the Monday one – unheard of, I ‘throw away’ a paid for class as am within 24 cancellation), a fruitless wait for a drink that doesn’t happen with a friend I should know better – she always lets me down, when will I learn etc - and yes, a long w/end in London is way too long. Felt a bit like being trapped in a Rohmer film (ah forgot in my desperation, I ill advisedly watched Le Rayon Vert, surely avoid French auteurs during le longue fin de semain). Plus we got a parking fine dished out undeservedly. We thought we were smart not going away, but 80% of our friends had left town and it just wasn’t that much fun, plus the weather turned. To be honest I could sleep for 76 hours bar food foraging and sex, but Toph spends enough free time during the week that the days of rest were superfluous to him and I went along with his rhythm. Another one at the end of the month… better be prepared to fly or drive.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home