Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

19 June - Diamonds & Pain

A recent route to an exercise class takes me up and down Hatton Gardens. Twice a week on average and I can never resist looking into the diamond dealers shops. Even if am restrained, a few windows simply demand that I stop and look and I’m still confused by the abundance of diamonds on offer. Are they all real? Are they supposed to be this plentiful? If so, shouldn’t they be cheaper? Shouldn’t there be a sale? I keep looking and looking and try to work out which ones I prefer within my already set parameters. Today Maurice – young, Jewish, green eyes and glasses, should fix teeth, pops out of his shop and joins me in the rapture. Mine towards his window, his towards me. He’s flirting, but then I guess he’s been doing so for years.

I tell him what madam would like 1.25 minimum, but veering towards a 1.50 carat. I truly like the 2.0 ones as well, but am not a WAG so they will have to be avoided. No funny shapescuts, no squares, just the traditional round for me, set high on its cradle and no paves and no other bits on the band. Am just not sure I want white gold because I also like yellow gold for contrast. That would be the chief choice stumbling block. I ask him to help me chose between two I like. He goes for the smallest of the two because he says its clarity is better. What do I know? The other one seemed more twinkly to me. Ok I say, how much? £8k he answers.

See, here’s where it all goes funny because I find nothing wrong with that, and yet I’d never spend that on a car, or think of shaving a year off my mortgage payments or taking the parents on the QE2 or simply taking off for 6 months… No, £8 seems reasonable though I don’t tell Maurice that I have no objection to wearing second hand diamonds and would hope to find a cheaper deal that way for same size and clarity rock.

It further goes funny because I really don’t understand why they have to be called engagement rings and only purchased when there’s a proposal. I like the shape, I like the rock, I want one and have given up waiting for some man to proffer one, I want to buy one myself but worry it may bring bad luck and about the many times I’ll have to explain that ‘No, there’s no proposal, I just liked this ring and wanted to wear it’.

As for the man in my life… he should know the above and that I don’t require the wedding at all, save that cash, just the ring. But most men I know personally, as opposed to the ones I know of, will never spend 8k. They would find the sum ludicrous and think of many justifications to avoid such a purchase. I know I’ve covered this subject before on this blog and I haven’t changed my opinion. The amount of times I see on the hands of women I come into contact with, so called engagement rings that simply are symbolic and don’t take pride in a decent size rock, upsets me. I’d die if I was given one I don’t like. It would have such a negative effect, if every time I looked at it all I could think was of the £8k one I must must have some day soon. Here’s a thing… by my next b’day I shall have one. I think I’ll visit Maurice once a month just to check on him and by the time am ready, trust me to get him to knock off a grand minimum. Tsk! He just added that up just to test me for sure.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home