Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

20 June - West End Whingers

Thank you P. for an excellent 50th birthday party full of vibrant and attractive people just there to remind me that it won’t be so bad after all when I get to – gasp – mine. However, gay men do hang on to their looks with much more ‘my life depends on this’ commitment than straights, and their female friends bar the usual totally fat and ugly fag hag, are also the ones that were gorgeous when they first met clubbing in London in their 20’s. So, really, too pleasant a backdrop by half.

We ate great salmon and cheese, drank a truly tasty red wine (I don’t touch the white much) and we chatted to various old friends of Toph’s from his days as a cherished roommate to the gays. The longest conversation was about the state of the Arts Council which seems to be headed by an old acquaintance of his. M. our friend in the know had not a good word to say about its relevance today and much time was spent bemoaning how Ken’s beloved ethnic minorities hijack it and its funds. It’s unbelievable to me that in such areas they still go on and on about issues of gender and the like. It feels it’s for people who never want to let go of writing their PHd’s basically and view everything from the Marxist or the feminist or the ethnic perspective. Ok I don’t know that much, but I think I’d die in that environment, I’d spend my days rolling my eyes and being offended by words such as ‘strategy’, long skirts and ethnic jewellery and superfunky spectacle frames. Yes, I am small minded when it comes to how the arts are run.

After the interlude, and before they closed the party at a respectable midnight hour, we got to dance like old spastics to Kylie, Madonna, Sylvester, the Weather girls, Abba and the small Parthenon that constitutes gay anthems. Such abandon! Such good shirts! The following day news reached us that we got good post party reports - I was an admired novelty and they still think Toph has held on to his looks, no higher accolade can be bestowed. And P. and his friend write this great blog about their outings to the theatre. The westendwhingers. Find it if you like and enjoy.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home