Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

24 August - Trannies & Karaoke

What is it with karaoke? Is it this year’s ten pin bowling? Why are private booth type places opening and Sony launching a home kit? I know it can be addictive, anything cheese is, look at school discos and guilty pleasures. But how long do these silly trends last? And is there really any money in them? Can someone tell me?
So it is that we found ourselves at the Café de Paris for the launch of something called Songstar which was also raising money for an HIV charity and had various trannies doing Karaoke and vogueing on a catwalk/stage and awarded points by a ‘celebrity’ jury. During which it was observed that:
Sean Rowley is the only man I’ll ever tolerate a beard on. It was so soft when we kissed hello despite me never having been to any of his clubs or heard his radio show. You never forget the ones you coveted so much at some point. I hope I'm a good memory for him too.
Kelly Osbourne has good manners (she was very polite to the waiters) and is very pretty.
Giles Deacon does not look anything like a fashion designer (or maybe he does, Alexander MacQueen looked a bit thuggish too).
Jodie Harsh has good PR as he’s in various bits of press in the same week. Let's put it this way, a week ago I didn't know who he was and now I do know what he eats. Is this knowledge of any use to me? Of course not.
Jane Bruton, the editor of Grazia like all magazine editors looks pretty average despite all the help she can/could get.
Siobhan Fahey still doesn’t look comfortable in her skin and seems to check herself for when to smile or say something. Great dress though, and have I mentioned she’s one of my earliest two degrees? No, I never slept with ugly Kevin Rowland or less ugly and considerably richer Dave Stewart but with a first boyfriend of hers).
June Sarpong looks better with no make up on, just so much fresher and less mugging for the cameras.
Miquita Oliver needs to use deodorant. I didn’t notice but the BF did. Then again with no one smoking in clubs anymore all smells are heightened and those lights were hot.
Pam Hogg always looks amazing from a distance and it takes a little adjusting to see the age coming out from under the make up – wonder if she feels a little like Isabella Blow, ie people benefit from associating themselves with her but has she ever made any real money out of letting them hang out with her? Don’t think so. Maybe being a sort of punk Marianne Faithfull is reward in itself.

I then spoke to the largest (the other side of Barry White) black man in a sequin dress and a favourite performer of the evening and asked him what he does. I was fully expecting to be told he’s a nurse or a sous chef but he said he does this (drag) for a living. Toph can’t believe there’s money in it. Maybe he wants to try?
I run into a familiar face from my past (oops, mixing tenses again, do forgive) , Steve J and I have to ask him what his name is to place him whilst I look at him trying to place me. Can’t be more than five years since I last run into him but memory really is beginning to falter. So many names, so many faces. He tells me who he is and my name then comes onto his lips. Ahhh, always a lovely man, tells me the friend we have in common, Rene’ G. has moved to Toronto two years ago with his wife. Clearly I’m not a good friend of his or I’d know but here really ought to be a middle term to qualify people who are not mere acquaintances but not close friends… Anyway SJ has a label with Patrick Lilley, must check it out. Am very fond of PL though we’re not friends either, but back in the early 80’s he was friends with my first adored boyfriend M. and always seemed please to see him/us. My god he’s been promoting stuff for 25 years, he should get a medal for lasting this long. Sooo tiring. All these young contenders. This time I don’t bother to search for the nod and smile as truly, we’d never then talk about anything. C’est la vie.
The House of ? and House of ? (can't remember names) are pretty entertaining, we do love a costume and there are good voguers. Those were the days, late 80's... The BF who likes a good ogle, has to check with me on several occasions whether 'Is that a man or a woman?' as he needs to be sure before he fantasises that he's lusting after a female and not a bloke with a small Adam's apple.

I forget to say that at the door I got waived in by a lovely blonde who’s friends with an ex friend of mine and whose name has not come to me for the entire evening. I have spent other evenings with this woman, I like her, I can think of the names of other friends of hers (most notably ubiquitous club designer Sean) but not hers. There’s an S in there but it’s not Sharon. Darn, I had bought a ticket after all for Toph and was still trying to pick it up with her kindly pushing me inside. Have not been waved in for a while. Forgot how nice it is not to queue. Super in fact. We were home by 12 o/c. I do love S Rowley but if you play Phil Collins, I have to leave the room. No exceptions can be made.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home