Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Thursday, April 10, 2008

1 April - Fools..

Well, I believed the one about BMW cars now coming with a special sensor in the hubcaps which will release a piercing sound to scare dogs away who may want to piss against the wheels. I did think you had to be a major wanker to be impressed by this sort of gadget and buy a car because it offers that. But crucially I didn't think it was cruel to animals at all. Er.....

I didn't play any because most of them end in tears. A friend who has an unruly child who's already had problems as school, thought it would be funny to phone his wife and a) say school had rung and child now excluded for a week and b) said he himself had been stopped by the police for speeding and had his licence revoked. Wife (who's in a stressful job to begin with) just burst into tears. Men just don't have a sense of humour women understand.. on the whole.

On a slightly different tangent, a C. had been out of work since before Christmas and I had concurred with her that maybe it was time to get out of fashion, fashion is empty and shallow and all the rest and she should move into a different industry. But then I had a dream about her (I never do and I also don't often remember dreams) and in it she got a top job running the showroom of the jewellery company De Grisogno. Now, all I know about De Grisogno is that I've seen their ads in things like the FT How to Spend It supplement and I know they're based in Geneva but have an Italian name so I had been wondering who they were? A real family or a made up name and why were they so prominently advertising now when I had never heard of them? So I told my friend the dream and she said she'd contact them. But a few days later she rang because a top blue chip brand with flagship store in Regent St. had offered her the job of brand developer for their accessories range. Now, they rang her on the evening of 31 March to say 'we didn't want to call you tomorrow just in case you thought it was an April's Fool.' How nice of them. And see? I am entitled to think that I have good premonition powers as my job in the dream and the actual one are very close to each other, it's not clothes, it's valuable trinkets. Am happy for her. I hope accessories covers 'handbags' too. C's cast offs, bring them on. I was able to offer valuable advice even before she starts by saying that any new item she needed to test, only needed to be put in front of a close circle of people: me, the sceptic 'you mean they want £200 for a .... keyring?????', M., the uber adorable gay BA purser, J, the uber macho gay architect, J. and M. the straight man and woman who'd actually pay £200 for a keyring, and possibly Toph who'd just judge it on beauty and would not covet it. If all of us think it's the bollox, then it should go into production of course. And be photographed as usual on Kate. See it fly off the shelves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home