Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, May 16, 2008

8 May - Surgery & Tragedy

I've been told the pain I have been experiencing in my right hand has got a name and I have it in 'moderate' quantity and it needs an easy operation. A month or so later, I should submit the left hand to the same procedure.

My eyes filled up with tears and the consultant was quick to re-assure me that of all the possible ailments to have or surgery to suffer, this is really simple stuff. I know but... I've never had my body tampered with and this is the beginning of the end. In a few years I'll need my feet done - those pesky bunions will turn my feet into Duffy Duck's - and that will surely open the floodgates?

I know it's partly hereditary as my mother had similar ailment and so did an auntie. But imagine my surprise when I asked my mother about her operation. I was convinced she had it in her 60's but no, she said she was 45. Admittedly she's had nothing done since (oh, the bunions, just remembered) and currently is only taking pills for high blood pressure (I have low) and cholesterol (I have none). But still. She's developing a hunchback - yewwww - and my father has another set of complaints so potentially the biological destiny is ... not amazing. I'm wondering at what point the balance will tip over from vanity worries to real /health ones.

It's absolutely of no consolation to mentally list how many (younger) friends this past year have had knee or feet or other operations due to age, not to mention the ones who broke an arm whilst skiing at 40plus and saw had longer convalescence. I just thought I was better than them. That looking after my body in terms of diet and exercise, would spare me stupid stuff like carpal tunnel syndrome. Who knows what else is lurking there? And never mind that from diagnosis to surgery it will take a couple of months and I'll be in a super duper nice private hospital that has already sent a stylish brochure. I mean, I feel guilty. Those peeps in Burma have only paracetamol...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home