Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, July 25, 2008

27 July - La Musique est morte

What happens with music these days is strange. When it comes to classical for example, I don’t remember shit. I could listen to the same Bach over and over and every time it’s sort of new.

What happens with old pop/rock/any other modern genre, is that I never really want to go listen to something old, even if I have loved it at the time. Having dragged over from my house to boyfriend various containers of cds, I simply am not inspired to play anything. Hands up anyone who goes home and thinks, oh yes, Radiohead’s OK Computer, I fancy some of that. Didn’t think so.
So what I do is buy new music. Not an awful lot but I do, or borrow it. And I do listen to it. Especially at work where the discreet headphone is not easily spotted.

And some things I like, think they’re great in fact (Estelle’s album anyone? How fresh is that? Pretty damn marvellous), but then I take it home and it just sits there. Same with anything else like Duffy or The Zutons, or, or , or. And there’s lots I avoid buying because a few choice tracks have served to tell me I don’t need to hear more. And then there’s the stuff you catch in passing (some Culture Show featuring Metallica) where I actively thought oh my god it’s a dirge! It’s an old dirge! How could anyone still give these guys the time of day? Youtube has a lot to answer for. It may work in making people sample stuff and go buy it/download it but also has the reverse effect. Having spent about an hour watching paint dry (funny paint though) in the form of Dave Gahan in his home studio in NY or LA or wherever and heard snatches of what he’s working on, I can tell you that it’s hardly going to set my world alight and I’ll pass.

I think it can never happen just because of the music anymore, it has to be linked to the artist and some form of peer group belonging. Without the allegiance to oasis vs blur (not that I cared then, maybe clash vs other punks perhaps) and taken only and purely as music you hear, it just doesn’t push enough buttons to warrant repeat listening. Even when we’re in the car, we listen to the radio to at least have them supply variety and artists we don’t know. The dozens of cds kept in the car just bore us even if they’re recent. We just check this out for cultural reference, as we do with a show, a play, an exhibition.

Weird that. Nobody told me it would be like this….

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home