Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, October 03, 2008

1 October - New Cross /Old Cross

It was south of the river in New Cross but my good friend PE who lives in Clapham, reminded me that she regularly comes up West to see us and that other guests were coming from much further afield and what's the big deal. Well the big deal was listening to Toph dissing the Old Kent Road and beyond till we got to our destination. Frankly the south does not disagree with me that much, I was excited we went past a 24 hour Asda and wanted to go in on the way back... for the sole reason to see what possibly can happen in an Asda at 1am but Toph refused to stop. However it was hard to fathom exactly where we were with me saying things like 'I recognise this, I came to a gig here about ten years ago' type stuff. To be honest I also dated someone in Hither Green (Lewisham to you) nearly two decades ago but I hated the trip even when there was sex to lure me. Now there was some nice drinks and food with the Icelandic friends who were not quite at war with us yet.

The party was lovely but full of kids rushing around and screaming at the top of their lungs because someone forgot to remove the 2L bottles of coke from which they were freely drinking. So it was a bit hard to hear anyone believe it or not. The house was so untouched from the 70's and bohemian that I started to get itchy. The primary colours on every wall were probably a good idea to cheer up the kids when they were small but now??? We spoke to a new teacher girl (who had previously been a volunteer and travelled a lot). She was great as she spoke for probably an hour about herself and her job and there was no need to make an effort. She was sharing a house in Croydon with a lovely sculptor guy who told us he'd moved there originally because of ex wife's job (she had to go to some suburb nearby that I've never heard of and have excised from my memory. Then, after about 20 years together, the ex wife had now run off to live with a lawyer in.... Hampsted. Either she's not working anymore or the commute would be bizarre, but the net sum was that sculptur was stuck in the unsellable huge house in Croydon. I think Toph and I probably intook breath at the same time as the thought of Croydon. Don't care what you say. I am never going that far from the centre. He seemed ok. Very metrosexual and tall and attractive. But somehow can't think of any g/friends for him. Yet. We chatted to a couple more people we knew and love and who can be found mostly near us at any time of the week, and then returned. It's no good turning parties down but they're not what they used to be let's face it. No dancing goes on, no snogging and in a corner were some seriously older than us people busy smoking funny fags.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home