Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

9 September - No Buy & Hardline

Had decided to do a little experiment for this month, since am in the process of divesting myself of many possessions in order to travel lighter. I thought I'd attempt not to acquire any more for a while. (see Sept 1 entry).

I have to report that this is proving easier than I thought. If you go round the city in your usual fashion but thinking 'I'm not buying anything', all you need to do is stay out of shops and hey presto. It's accessing shops that ruins your resolve as you see 'bargains'.

However it is impossible to not buy anything if you realise that you need a new baby gift for yet another godson (£100 on fab gold pendant which daddy can engrave and wear till appropriate time as to pass on... shame I couldn't afford the chain, but another £150 was not in my budget. This kid has to earn my love yet), a b'day gift for one of your oldest male friends.. (where to start... I could revamp his life easily), or a welcome back lover boy I've missed you gift, and so on. So have revised this restriction to not buying anything for myself. This does not exclude things like restaurants or travel or theatre and so on. All intangible things that will not clutter my space.

Getting rid of stuff is not easy though. I emptied two boxes of silk scarves and not so silk ones and only found only 4 items to truly eliminate. The rest were like old friends I hadn't seen for a while, I can't wait to wear my scarves again. To be honest had forgotten 80% of them existed. The combined weight of the ones which could be disposed of came to approx 200gms so it makes no sense to get rid of them, though I did, eventually. I had to start somewhere.

I fared a little better with shoes/boots/bags but again, they're all small items. So are books until you fill a box or three of them. I chucked two dozens I'd bought to read and never got round to. Let's face it... they're not rare, they're in print. I'll get them as and when. The vinyl took a hit. Though if I'm still thinking about a gatefold sleeve mint condition Are You Experienced a week after I sold it for next to nothing, this tells me I made a wrong choice there. Don't miss James or Tears for Fears, wich are probably in a landfill. There are no possible fans of either out there who would want them from whatever charity shop they've ended up in to start. I think there are charity shops employees who say thank you for your bag, then look inside and go... 'landfill please'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home