Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

2 September- The trodden path

I met 2 colleagues on the escalators up at the station of my cross/work a while back. It’s a first. After we pass the ticket barriers, they turn left, I turn right. We both say to each other ‘Where are you going?’

Turns out that I’ve been using ‘my’ exit since whenever … and one of them has been using ‘her’ exit for ten years. I have to say I must have been aware there is another exit as I’ve often given people direction to come visit saying ‘At the top turn right’.. but I was convinced the other exit took you elsewhere, behind something in the opposite direction. In fact it takes you to the other side of the road from mine. Colleagues and I think our exit is the one that makes for a shorter trip to our destination. One day when we have time we’ll test it by splitting up at the barriers and waving a flag as to whoever comes up for air first. That would be me and my exit but I think getting to the front door would then be similar. I don’t know. It would be a matter of seconds in any case so hardly worth finding out.

This morning my exit was blocked by a rain leak.. so am forced to use the other one. It feels very strange to do so. It’s not ‘my’ exit, I don’t like it, there’s a longer tunnel (goes under the road).

I realised that I probably live my life in this way as well. I find a path/road/ and I don’t bother exploring others if they’re not markedly different and I get to just ...like my choice. This probably saves a lot of turmoil.. in the long run. Am not one of those people forever regretting not doing this or trying that. But I don’t like it… it’s… boring. I expect another type of person would alternate their exit or change it back and forth every few weeks and so on to explore, have variety, see what happens, change forever. Who are these people?

(ps I hope you appreciate that writing a blog does not require the blogger to be too careful with verb tenses and I swerve happily between present and past tenses. It would take forever to go back and correct. Sorry)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home