Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Thursday, June 23, 2005

23 June - revisionism & thunderbolt & lightning

Revisionism.. does it mean for example old communists and Marxists no longer preach that gospel presumably, though I doubt they change as much as becoming merchant bankers or military men for example (teachers? social workers? Yes). But it affects other spheres of your life, and again you get to revise as you age and this blog is all about that. It means that I can go to see in the same week both Motley Crue at Wembley and We Will Rock You /the musical at the Dominion (both were guest tickets, paying for these shows would be unthinkable) and have moderate fun at both.
This from the woman who in between these two nights was prepared to abandon a superb solstice party on a rooftop high above the city with stunning views of tower Bridge and St Pauls, a marquee, a lawn, flowers, delicious food and flowing champagne and hammocks and all because … the initial music soundtrack that greeted the guests was Jamiroquai. Not even the new album, but the same old shit. And previously in Barcelona, I had to get up from the chill out cushions and the mojitos to go ask the management “Please please please can you remove the Sade CD on repeat and play something else?” The place, Shoko (or Oshko?), was pretty stunning with obligatory young gay waiter who hated us but we could take that sneer, but Sade? No. She’s the only artist as whose gig I actually fell asleep for ten minutes (was at RAH about 20 years ago, had to go just because two friends were in danger of going out with Stuart and Andrew from the band – I could never see the point of the girl truly and knowing she’s gone to live in Jamaica and is/was a major spliffer still doesn’t improve the experience). No! I say No!
Anyway, between the two, and bearing in mind I’ve lost credibility many a time by declaring that if Tommy Lee asked I’d say yes, just the once. He’s the only rocker I’d made that exception for. Actually, Joe Perry too, WWRY was better. Not that I’m about to start reviewing shows but at least the songs are memorable. The Crue don’t have any… just pantomime rock which deploys strategically some pole dancer babes who somehow can make 6,000 people forget the songs are crap. Not that ‘Love to ride my Bicycle’ (or whatever that one’s called), is any better. Shockingly, Bohemian Rhapsody was released in ‘75 and despite knowing all the words at some point, I welcomed God Save the Queen in ’77 as the future and was prepared to volunteer to kill Brian May. Kind of odd as before I must have worn down the tracks on Led Zep’s and the Floyd’ vinyl, but there you go. The new is just too …exciting.
The best part of WWRY (which means also admitting that I deliberately came into contact with something by Ben Elton – yeuch!) was that from now on if there’s any argument brewing I shall say at the top of my voice ‘Thunderbolt and lightning/ Very very frightening!’ and hope to defuse work or personal situations by turning them into farce. To explain further… ‘are we really arguing about this? Ooohh I’m soooo scared!, thunderbolt and lightning etc.’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home