Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Monday, July 04, 2005

2 July - lrb dating

More tales from the dating world whilst am still single and can tell you this stuff.
On Friday I went to the London Review Bookshoop for their first singles night. The food was great so was the wine, so was the music but the guests were a sorry lot. A bearded tall man told me ‘You’re the most attractive woman here’ and I replied w/o even a second of censoring myself, ‘You know what? You’re right and I can’t say there’s a male to match’. And there wasn’t, apart from one of the guys on the door who clearly had a g/friend somewhere as he didn’t take the opportunity to talk to me beyond me talking to him for a while (or he was a 30something who doesn’t fancy 40somethings, not everybody seeks a Mrs Robinson.

I felt sorry for the women over 50, a decade I’m now heading towards (hope I die before ...). Very slim pickings for them. For example, I had brought along a male friend who is in fact 50 but, he was on his way later to a real date with a sales assistant at Foyles who is in her early 20’s. He can still do that quite easily. I got him to talk to some women my age whilst there, but he was just being polite. I saw the crows feet around their eyes and I just know he’d run away – plus people by and large dress according to the time they were at university. Old and slightly leftie looking is not a good look. I hate big beads so maybe I’m biased. I talked for a while with one of the new interns at the LRB Magazine and asked him who their readers are and he said people with two degrees and a PhD perhaps. I said there wasn’t much point in spending all that time cosseted away with books and study if you’re then alone like everybody else. I wonder if anyone really did match off after the thing but I left asking no numbers, giving none away and texting on my way home a couple of errant g/friends ‘You didn’t miss anything’ so that’s er… sad. Still, there were lonely men who stood lonely by the shelves. I know some people are shy but… you cannot be shy at 35+ and what’s so difficult about saying ‘What do you like to read then?’ at a singles night in a bookshop for god’s sakes. Want to talk to women? Just try! These are probably the kind of guys who sometimes discover salsa dancing or some other exotic thing and embrace it as they think it allows them into cultures that have so much more ease of striking up conversations and friendships.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home