Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Thursday, August 17, 2006

17 August - A Column & not made of stone

Finally got round to reading Belle de Jour’s book. Pleasantly surprised indeed, I can’t slag it off at all. It is miles better than subsequent blogger efforts gone into 'novels'. And I’ve learnt a thing or two that will come in handy. And one that I wished I’d known night Toph went away for 3 weeks and wouldn’t you just know it, I’d just come on! Neither of us is squeamish but had I known about ‘the sponge’ , life would have been easier. Thanks Belle.
I then went on to read her blog again as you do and that’s got useful info too. I now know a newspaper column is roughly worth £25k a year. Assuming a column per week that’s £500 so not bad if you can add that to other income and not pay too much tax on it. Would that someone give me a column. That would just be my holiday money. I can definitely mention underwear as much as she does. Hey Belle, want to meet and show me yours/I show you mine sort of thing? Of course I don’t spend anytime much making lists or telling you which books I’m reading as she does, but that can easily be modified (this week we're grappling amongs others with an early WG Sebald. thank god I read 'Austerlitz' first or would not have proceeded further with this difficult writer. I'm also reading Jonathan Safran Foer. With books, am always a couple of years behind the publication date. It just works that way, though I heard David Mitchell read some of his latest at Hay a couple of years back. There you go.
As for the column, we could do it as a retro wishful thinking one. And as one of my friends just put it ‘You have a most delicious past miss taylor’. That’s debatable as all I’d said to her, was that I’d met finally a bona fide 80’s chart topper who I should have met ages before on account of him being my friend M’s cherry taker when she was very young: one bad Mr. X of an early 80s chart topping band. Now thanks to that connection I had a very good time spent with the about to crash down and burn Stone Roses -ok, just the keyboard player, a hired hand - and no one would ever mention those two bands in the same paragraph but me. Mr X also could have been more useful to me had I know it at the time that a couple that was considered very solid, could be parted. Unless my memory is shot, I think he went out with Mrs Edge and I’d have moved closer to wherever U2 were and made a valid attempt at the bald one. Don’t pity me. We all fancy people that our friends go ‘WHAT?’ Edge is my secret shame. I also fancy Viggo Mortensen so you can see I can cover the spectrum from sort of ugly to handsomest.
Anyway, besides a column, I could also do with some techie savvy person to adjust this blog’s appearance. I truly have blog envy when I see some of the (usually American) sites I get lost in on an average day. Volunteers?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home