Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Monday, August 21, 2006

18 August - Gyms & Death

New gym, new induction. Ok, I’m not a fan of gyms as I think you can basically do anything you need pretty much by yourself outside or inside and save the membership fees. Though am a sucker for new types of exercise (more of that later… Beautcamp Pilates anyone? No, didn’t think so as only one gym in the UK so far). Anyway this was provided for free by caring employer so why not. Of course you need an assessment to use the ever changing machines, though kind guy who walks me round admits that the rowing one (pretty basic invention from probably a hundred years ago) still is the best all around warm up compared to steppers and cross trainers, in fact he goes as far as saying I could just go for a jog. My point precisely. Anyway Personal Trainer chap, aged 25 or so, is filling the questionnaire and asks ‘What’s your goal, what do you want to achieve?’
Mmh, I think… am reasonably fit, toning seems a boring answer, don’t have too many body issues that a gym would solve… more like plastic surgery thanks, so I settle for ‘Stave off the ageing process, thank you’.
He deadpans ‘That’s not possible, am afraid’
I look at him and am tempted to give him a quick lesson in psychology which would come in handy when dealing with clients. First of all look at my DoB on the sheet. Got it? Right, then do not tell a woman over 40 that delaying the ageing process is not possible. She kind of knows that, but please sell her the dream. She said ‘delaying’ not ‘reversing’ (which is probably what Sting and Madonna are trying to do).
Talking of which, Madge, if it’s true that you really think that water that’s been chanted and meditated upon can make nuclear waste holy and non nuclear... then you’ve totally lost me now. First the £180 tickets, now this.
Back to Personal Trainer.. I make a mental note to go read that Tibetan Book of the Dead. I think it deals not just with final death but with getting there. I think am lacking the necessary acceptance that ageing precedes death… usually. I make another mental note to chose a PT who's not 25 next time, but one who has read some philosophy. After all I do not mean to shag him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home