Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Monday, January 21, 2008

1 January - Ccchanges...

Wonder how it will be. It's not often that I return to the same place in the world as there are currently still dozens of destinations I'd like to get to before I die or before I'm able to walk around unaided (Tibet circuit anyone?). But it's been 8 years almost to the month since I got to Vietnam. This time I'm approaching it from the south up whereas then I landed in Hanoi first and worked my way down to the Delta. I'm telling myself that it will be like going to Rome for the fifteenth time and you can still enjoy seeing St Peter's Square but am not sure. I'll have to be patient for Toph's sake as it will all be new to him and same same but different for me. And I have a little more time and am determined to make it to Halong Bay even if the weather will be against us and it won't be the tranquil pool of blue on which old junks can glide along.... but it will mean not making it to the north, to Sapa and the terraced paddy fields that are so mesmerising you can watch them all day.

What the heck, it's the other side of the world and what better way to detox than being somewhere where a decent wine is far out expensive and the loca hooch too scary to imbibe. Off in a few hours, last little tour of west London and nobody about, all shut, just a few lost frenchies and italian tourists in search of the market and all huddled up in the few cafes which bothered to stay open. Forlorn NY day.... what did we do last night? Stayed in, like 99% of all our friends who are no longer 'young' and all abhor the idea of a club/party. Even watched some Jools Holland on TV. How sad is that? Am sure I spent a good few decades pitying people who see midnight on Tv and now am one. The fact that all my friends are too is no consolation. Still, having a lovely kiss and more on NY's eve with the sweetest man, is joyous enough. And not a new year's resolution in sight. Age means knowing they're all pointless talk.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home