Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, November 28, 2008

24 November - Chav's Choice

I have lost my solitary (well I have one team member of the 'we hate Uggs' band but we're not organised enough to start a movement) battle against Ugg boots. It seems their new shops were besieged by buyers. I still find it hard not to grimace when I come across an Ugg wearing person, whether I know her or not. I grimace, I kid you not, it's a pavlovian response.
It's bad enough that zillions of credit challenged teenagers have been wearing the knock offs from neu look and the likes but now their older sisters are thronging to buy the real thing, especially as you can find the real ones at low prices on market stalls here and there.

I was mulling this over and then it hit me that as usual the curve for a brand to get established is between 2 to 3 years. In the sense that when the first people to wear them did, they were some music industry/fashion trendssetters bringing them back from their travels and a mere couple of xmas later they're on many lists.
Then I thought that much as a brand owner may be ecstatic to make the fast buck, he may well also worry when his product is embraced across various strata.
I don't have to fight the Uggs, becasue the fact they've become Chav's Choice will see to their disappearance. I give them till the summer and next Autumn I won't see any more though the bastards are offering new designs and bags to match and probably hats. yeah, go the way of burberry check. Burberry seem to have almost completely eliminated!

I realised I tagged this post 'shoes' but they're slippers really...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    One of the bartenders locally refers to college girls wearing miniskirts and Uggs as "Eski-hos". Not, of course, to their faces...

     
  • At 5:33 AM, Blogger Lisa Taylor said…

    Eski hos! that's brilliant. but if they happen to be 45 to 50, can they still be hos?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home