Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Monday, January 09, 2006

22 December - Dates & Dvd's

One I overlooked last week. A new male acquaintance rings… a possible date after one lunchtime introduction by a friend who knows us both and a follow up quick drink midweek. It’s Sunday and he texts at 5ish to ask ‘Would you like to come around and watch a DVD’. Am stunned by the lack of forethought this high achieving, successful mann(lawyer) has given to this. It’s a week before Xmas, and what you’re offering is what you’d offer an old mate, not a woman you may want to impress. Why not come up with something interesting to do or at least something that costs you some money/time and is not a last minute idea and does not require any shifting of effort on his part. Why, I could even stop for a takeaway on the way over to his house and bring that with my lovely little ass from the other side of London. Yes, you live in Portobello Rd and that’s quite an attractive area, am sure it has restaurants, bars and an excellent local cinema with big, brown armchairs.
I text back not having heard a peep since the midweek drink…am now otherwise engaged. But give me another opportunity and I may give him the wisdom of the Lisa Taylor’s guide to dating. Besides, I stop to consider what’s holding me back. Have I finally learnt some lessons on this front or it that he is attractive etc but he’s another late 30’s guy who’s ditched a great, but unsatisfactory career to start a business which am sure will go fantastically well (can you go wrong launching a new vodka? Don’t think so), but it’s still by no means a reality. But you know, Lisa’s current end of the year advice to self is not to date guys prior to their impossible to avoid mid-life crisis, which will get hold of them at around 39/40/41. You end up mid-wifing a lot of grief, late nights working/worrying and they have to plough all their savings in the new venture and take you to Pizza Express. That’s for me and my girlfriends when we’ve maxed the cards, not for new dates. So, no, keep your DVD’s on a Sunday afternoon. And if that makes me a cynic, so be it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home