Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, April 20, 2007

11 April - Cabbage & Cooking

How delightful a night’s in on one’s own is! I can eat anything I like and for me that can often be just a bunch of vegetables, steamed or friend in some spices. Tonight it’s a whole bag of chopped greens with nothing else but the onion they’re friend with. Try and give that to a guy, he’d be horrified. Nothing to do with diets, sometimes it’s just like the sorbet mid-way through a wedding feast, I need to give the taste buds a rest. As I cook with no added salt and don’t eat much pre-packaged food (the salt and sugar content would make me gag) I’m ok just tasting stuff as it is. Granted, the bit of onion or garlic is necessary, alas I’ve never been an ayurvedic convert for that reason, can’t give those two Med staples up.

I’ve just worked out what the tags on blogs are useful for. They are not for readers to search for topics but to remind yourself if you’re getting repetitive and covering the same ground as have a déjà vu of boring you on this subject before, only that was before I started using tags so can’t search for the entry, and life’s too short to overhaul whole blog. So to make up for being boring I’ll expand in another direction. Pru Leith would disapprove of my 'just eating greens' phases. She was in a w/end supplement talking about her love of food. It started in France for her. Can’t say I have it. Then again my friends are a mixed bunch: some turn out perfect potatos dauphinoise from scratch (granted, not difficult but I can’t be arsed) and some don’t even have a single saucepan in their houses. I went to Pru Leiths’ school once and I (contributed to) make a souffle’. The school was a nice space but I never understood the appeal of a souffle’. It’s pretty baby food but so what? Oh and we made crackling duck. Unfortunately seeing how much oil (and butter? Can’t remember) it was soaked in or generally goes into top restaurant style food, made me instantly reject the notion that I should learn more of these recipies. I am the same with puddings. Can eat them, but making them at home is a disaster. If it says 'a bag of sugar', I stop right there. I couldn’t eat them. And believe me I have curves, I just don’t want to go on to become Dawn French. Or even Jennifer Saunders.
I worked with/next to Pru’s husband once and I decided then that they’re not all bad these Tory peers, they have lovely manners. I meant to look up what Lord WW did wrong during Thatcher’s years but I never found the time and the way in which he said Good Morning had me forgive him. By now he had to contend with being a meet and greet kind of guy, one of those positions where you get a fat salary for your ability to pick up the phone to various people at the top and have them take the call. But he’d lost Mrs T…..

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home