Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, August 10, 2007

29 July - Handbag search psychology

Am out with my plastic pseudo crinkly beige Prada I bought a mere two months ago in Lisbon for a few euros. It was alright at the time as it didn’t seem to come from the same Chinese factory that makes all those ghastly plastic handbags or I so deluded myself it was ‘different’. However, the vinyl has began so seriously peel off and I hate scruff. So am in Retro Woman and see a gorgeous Furla handbag for £120, brand new and in cream ostrich type leather. I fall in love but am now wise to the fact that such surface will get dirty instantly rubbing against my clothes, god forbid I should wear a pair of jeans. That blasted indigo has even ruined shoes by leaving blue streaks on them. I uhm and er and eventually leave it after asking if they’d drop to £80 in which case I’d have taken the risk and the future pain. When something is scuffed I no longer love it. Then I search all charity shops nearby, why not, I have spare time on my own, nobody is going to suffer waiting around for me. I see nothing I like as much as the Furla but at 5.50pm I then buy a soft bag which is a bit too sporty for me in Dune for £26 and also despite the fact it has brass buckles things and I hate brass. But it’s good enough to allow me to chuck the pseudo Prada immediately. Only a couple of hours later when I get home I then remember I have the camel coloured one short handles ostrich type leather one that I have forgotten to get out this year. Damn. I console myself with the fact hat the Dune one was cheap and has long handles. I need handles to go over shoulder as can’t do the Jackie O carrying handbag. Whoever does that has my admiration. If I had a Hermes I’d be constantly trying to heave it over my shoulder and not just hold it on forearm.

I remember the photographs that Auntie Annmarie (émigré’ bride to South America in late 50’s) used to send to our family. In all the photos she was always carrying a Jackie O style handbag outdoors and hilariously indoors! And she’d be wearing or holding the short gloves. That was her idea of top style/decorum and she stuck to it. My sister and I always wondered what did she have in the small handbag? A purse, a handkerchief, a lipstick and mirror… Life was so simple. I lug books in there and spare shoes and huge make up bags and sun tan lotions and food …. In fact giant handbags would be me if they didn’t dwarf a shortish person. Am reminded I recently chucked a book on Jackie O given me by the boyfriend who also had the Audrey Hepburn fixation. That's what he wanted and I so love Gisele Bundchen (when she's wearing Cavalli, not jeans and a tee). Go figure how we lasted two years.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home