Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Thursday, May 29, 2008

27 May - Indexes

So, I bought some of those so called dj cd bags, the ones that allow you to store your cds like in a folder, but having got rid of the jewel box first. I thought it was time to slim down the collection on the shelves as every few years you chuck lots of things you thought were essential (drum n' bass anyone? gone!).

So, I did get rid of about 200 cds and duly started strippig the others of the box (this is more laborious than you think) in order to extract the sleeve on the back tray together with the front sleeve and the booklet.

It also takes time to re-insert everything in the pockets of the bags. I was going to keep to a sort of system I have which is not alphabetical but by genrel and male and female and bands separated. Then I thought 'Sod it'. And started filing everything at random followin this train of thought 'I hardly ever listen to anything much anymore, or rather, I listen to the newest acquisitions but don't go fishing out a Prince album from early in his career cause.. those days are gone, so it makes sense to have everything in a sort of ipod shuffle kind of filing. I'll open, turn some pages and pick a cd that talks to me. I won't need to go searching for Sting or REM - oh, got rid of those in toto - or any individual thing. Let the mood of the moment take me to the right music'.

What do you think? I should add that I got bored 1/3 of the way and decided that boxes of reggae or early Island Records don't even need to be decanted into the bags, they can just stay gathering dust as they are...

And I don't even know why am doing all this as I plan to go live the ascetic life in a country far far away soon and truly I'll save a few tunes on the pods but will not have a cd player ever again. Did you know for example that you can no longer buy a VHS machine in a high street shop? Gone, the format is dead. I know because a friend had to borrow my vhs machine so her kid could watch some Pinter plays borrowed from his school library and only available on tape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home