Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Thursday, May 29, 2008

29 May - SATC

Well, it's a bit too long at 2h20mins but it's like sitting in front of several episodes. It doesn't snap crackle and bop all the time at all and on a big screen I find Big even less attractive than he was on a small one, but... it holds its own and deals in advance with what some of the criticisms would be namely the 'feminist' ones about .. 'Do we really deep down want marriage and romance all the time?' Is this all there is? By leaving Samantha at 50 eschewing devoted loverboy Smith for remaining free and not wanting a diamond ring (just a ring with diamonds), you have the one who doesn't want to live the domestic life. So, it's fine.
I really can't find much fault with it. The performances are fine and credible. As for all the male reviews who dwell on SJP's unsexyness, well, she's a writer in the film/series, not a supermodel or cartoon actress like Jessica Alba so why even go there? Leave SJP alone.

I must say though that it got me in a funk the following day. I was still thinking about the 'who cares for the wedding really?' question and got annoyed with myself for still sort of caring, so I did the right thing and projected all of that on boyfriend. He did the right thing by his species and sat there vacant faced saying repeatedly 'I don't understand where all this is coming from' (me, from a movie, so what, movies can have central conundrums that are a basis for discussion non?). He 'baby, I've just had some skin cancer sliced off my chest today, must we talk about this now???' (me, yes, why not, you big baby, it's only 5 stitches, you're not dying). He... oh well, a bit more staring into the distance till I got tired of hearing myself. He won... the battle. But not the war. Darn that Carrie waited ten years, the silly woman.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home