Diary of Lisa Taylor, reluctantly 42 (and a half)

Or.. 'f.ck me I'm forty.. two.. and a half', though can look 38 on a - not so deluded - good day. Or 'How to reconcile a well experienced mind trapped in a still - but for how long? – youthful body.' Don't have the 30somethings angst/problems, neither have the resigned (?) ageing baby-boomers in safe family territory outlook yet. Here's how I cope, one day all sexy women will get old... but never invisible. © Lisa Taylor 2005/6/7/8/9. Jeez.. so much for the 42 and-a-half delusion

Friday, October 31, 2008

28 October - Chess

We had to entertain a six year old and to keep him occupied Toph played chess with him. Then he cleverly asked six year old to teach me (I don't play) so that he could go on his computer for a while undisturbed. The six year old who's clever, told me all sort of wrong information, not sure if because of cleverness or because he got it muddled up as to how the horse , the tower, the knight and so on can move.

Toph came to rescue the game and I still won pursuing my anarchic ways, much as I do when I bluff beyond belief at poker ((I get reasonably far but then of course I fall in love with my cards and never consider what's the best hand someone else can have). I didn't take to the game, my brain doesn't like anything where it has to consider too many multiple options before making a choice. But I had the following 'old before my time' thought 'Better take chess up as a) you need to keep learning new things to keep it sharp and b) when we're truly past it, I can give Toph (who's rather champion like) a game in some lonely nursing home assuming they keep us together'.

A friend has recently told me that I do go on rather too much about getting old and dying but she's five years younger. I don't think it's hit her yet. But it will. I think it may be easier if you're prepared. Plus, if it wasn't my main preoccupation this blog would not exist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home